Topic: On to game logic

Okay, with the status area more or less working and the animation classes in good shape it's time to start on game logic. I want to be able to reuse most of the logic code for a new server also, so all of this will have to be done to a level above and beyond the usual. I'll be starting with the code required for walking around maps.

As such, I'm starting with requirements. Here's what I can think of right now (* marks an implementation detail, better ways are welcome):

Maps
- Instances
-- Parentable to other maps
-- Movable and rotatable
--- Each map functionally a grid
--- Attaches to its parent map by rounding to the nearest cube*
---- This is to make pathfinding more practical
--- Must be able to (at least approximately) pathfind through their parent maps
-- It's be nice if maps were replaceable on the fly, but this isn't strictly necessary
--- The problem is what to do with things that aren't part of the map itself when the replace occurs...*
---- Move them? To where?
---- Don't move them? Then what if the replacement has a wall where they are?
--- This would make map patching easy, and allow drawbridges and planks on boats, but the above problem will need to be solved
- Prototypes
-- Maps are designed as prototypes, and the maps people play on will be instantiations thereof
-- Maps are composited out of other maps, tiles being the degenerate case
Mobiles (monsters, players, etc)
- Mobiles are (with some modifications) 1x1 maps, mobile spawners (later on) likewise
- Basic behaviors
-- Follow (repeating Go To)
-- Go To

As for graphics, the two things I can think of that I still need to do are trigger (door) and animatable tiles, but they can come later. So anyway, anything related to how maps and the mobiles on them operate, this is the time to post your laundry list. smile Also suggestions for modifications, problems I'm not seeing, etc. w.r.t. the above requirements and clean ways to resolve the problems brought up would be appreciated.

Re: On to game logic

For large monsters they stil use 1x1 square, so I dono you may wana change that.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

But what about pathfinding? If monsters use more space than players can walk into a narrow corridor and shoot monsters that can't get in.

Well yea... but atm theres no paths that are only 1 square that I know of with lagre monsters. I was thinking of more bears,mechas,stt which are all out side forest monsters(which nowhere near towns or w/e). And if somehow they do find a place to hide, just make the AI of the monsters to run away if they cant taget the person for so many seconds

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

nice jimmy, your moving fast...

I would sugest some sort of multi-dymentional aspects to the placement of monsters/players on the map, it might solve some problems, and create new possiblities.  For example, a player could exsist on the map in thier location, and when they log out they would enter the other dymention, or the void, with a mirrored x/y/z. Also id like to see some sort shifting of control of avitars... we could have a possess spell or somthing, so you could bassically leave your chars body (they could enter another dymention) and then people could control the other entity, fun stuff tongue but name, stats, and other properties wouldent carry over... this could also be used for another game aspect I was thinking of... Basically we could have an alternate world, like an afterlife lol, like you could leave your character (or die or be in-tombed) and play in another dymention heh tongue another thing that would be useful is if us GMs could just detatch compleltly from character, and float around by mousemovment (astral project if you will tongue) would be decent if we could be in game, and map editing, or working, ect, without having to walk around and other crappy mortal tasks..

(btw I cant read this font, ive just been rambling without proof reading or spelling ect, so I hope I got the basic idea across)

ghost has problems, its juzt invisibily, I wanna be able to just float around with a cursor, and view differnt z levels of buildings, ect.

as it is now, we GMs cant even walk into a guild hall, its a hastle.

plus it would be neat to just float around, and then take control of a guard or somthing..

but with the alternate plane, or dymention, whatever... we could have an accual place where players and their items are when they are offline. It would be useful to just imbody someones character to view what they have, to track down non-legit stuff and remove it or whathaveyou

heh taking control of monsters would be cool~ Really smart AI tongue would be nice in events.

Master_Wu wrote:

but with the alternate plane, or dymention, whatever... we could have an accual place where players and their items are when they are offline. It would be useful to just imbody someones character to view what they have, to track down non-legit stuff and remove it or whathaveyou

Well wheres the list of rules to follow to determine "Non-legit" stuff...also the players trust would fall so much this way due to the huge amount of GM abuse that has been happening in the past. For a GM to have the power to strip whatever char they want whenever they want and offer no reason would be a bad scenario.

Also unless this astral plane recorded logs to say which GM did what and when then they could get away with it with no hassles.

I like the after death idea...maybe set a task to get back to the real world. So everytime you die you need to do 1 of 10  mediocre tasks such as gather 10 furs....or a maze back to civilisation tongue

Hm. Instead of rounding to the nearest cube for map locations, I might be able to use Constructive Solid Geometry. Going to research it a bit, I've never done any work with CSG before.

Zammbi has done a few Pauals Pony wars that people have been more than happy to enter in without the promise for any prize.

As mumblee said anything to drag the player away from the monotomy of lvling. That is why Wars where so welcomed. Anyone could hold a war in town/duelling arena etc but it was the same thing. So to have a war on another map that was innaccessable was an exciting prospect.

The problem with GM logs is that...who the hell is going to read them. And unless it was an automated log then it would be useless because said individual could choose to not record some details~

There are logs that records all the chats, and gm commands or so, but only coma/zer can get it, so yea none is really gona look at it.

GM events, economy, and GM logs, & ligitimacy are very irrelevant in this topic however. tongue
so lets get back to  how maps and the mobiles on them operate...

tyrannas, You said "the server does not allow 2 of the same players on" well its really only 1 client connected to the server. control over your character or another thing is objective

jesus, non legit items would fall into the category of billions of duped gold via packet edit, or a gm creating items and a player obtaining it, simple tongue and the possibility for GM abuse isn't too relevent.

Essentially you would be the AI for your character, your main player. shifting of control to another entity is just a platform for other mini games, or events. For example, a GM could create another mini-world, seperate from the main faldon world. Then shift the control of a bunch of players to like seperate entitess with basically no AI, or replace thier AI... either way. it would switch bassically all aspects of your playable character, all skills, spells, stats, name, would all be parented to that entity.

this would open up LOADS of cool shit for GMs, and then maybe some other things that players can do, like I mensioned a possess spell, various mini games, or an afterlife dymention. But something Id like to create is like a goblin war or something: I shift the players control to goblins in another dymention/plane/whater. thier characters are fine, and phased into void tongue. we have a big war controling these goblins which would be realitivy equal. IE a Fair, & Fun war event for players with no equipment damage, exp loss, or what have you. your goblin dies, then zap back to your main character smile

but of course an evil GM could switch players control of thier bodys (like "hot chick" starring rob schnyder haha)

Of course that wouldent be compadable with this current VB server, thats not important though, just have the support for it and we can render up some graphical controls for it or somthing (for gms)

Hmm i just had a crazy idea....How about some sort of pet duelling arena where you can enter your pets in to duel but you dont tongue

That way people can lvl pets etc and compete in ultimate battle smile

hm the 2 duelers enter a protected room with there pets, then a lever that one of the players can press, which will run a script so the other pet attacks him which will make his pet attack defend him. Since it will be a protected room none can cast spells/attack, but the pets will be able to still.