Re: Suggestions

oh well in that case it would be fine tongue

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

java = runescape which = POS

When I rewrite the server it'll be in C++, since I intend to share a lot of code between the two (both of them have to keep track of the movement of characters and monsters, for instance, visibility, pathfinding... -- also basic behaviors like following to attack have to be coded in the client to make it work with the current server anyway and those are useful for monster AI for a new server...).

One reason I won't be using Java for anything is the same reason I won't be using C# (though I do like C#) -- automatic garbage collection. It's nice, but it also means things aren't deterministic and that I don't have access to anything reliably resembling a destructor. It would've made the current client rewrite a lot more complex than it has to be in C++. Also the lack of templates in both languages means more duplicated code than is healthy.

I prefer C# myself, and as my code page would suggest I've used it a lot, but I have many little systems of objects in the current client for instance where the other objects in the system need to know when the object is destroyed. In Java or C# I'd have to check proactively for such things or give each class a destroy method and keep a reference to it somewhere otherwise.. the former of those being more work and slower and the latter being basically the same thing with a more confusing interface, so.. smile For a normal server I'd have to agree, C++ would be a huge pain, but the model is really different, so smile

Ah yea longhorn sounds fairly good, Will be great with 3d programs like lightwave, with its 64-bit Animation.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

Is there any reason to think there will be tons of problems? The NT line has always worked fairly well out of the box.