Re: Experience Points

For healing, consider.
If a player is being healed and doesn't need healing, the experience taken will be negligible, as the player will have only taken say 5% damage.
If they really did need healing, then it was useful.

Maybe it should be faster to kill it and let it respawn, but that's only true for average monsters. The sort people will betray each other over is the really-good-drop, rare kind.

Suggested levels sound like a good idea. I wouldn't use the average, though, because players' effectiveness tends to increase superlinearly with level. More something like ((L1^1.5+L2^1.5+L3^1.5)/3)^(1/1.5) or whatever exponent we determined most closely reflected reality.

Uwillnome: Importance is entirely subjective, though. The earlier player had to keep the creature from regenerating just as well as the new guy did, only he did more than that. If it regenerates, the only person who is missing out is the one who did the damage and then left/died. So, that does give incentive for a player to let a monster regenerate before killing it. But the other way around gives incentive for a player to sit and do nothing. Neither is unexploitable.

Well for your example the player healing the battle mage, the player also risks dieing too now since hes in combat. I'm hoping AI will be smarter to attack healers now, so when a player heals someone that monster can turn and attack him. Yea the battle mage didn't need the healing but since he will be fully healed he doesn't need heal himself meaning he saves mana for other spells and able to straight away attack another monster, meaning he should get the same amount of xp over time.
But yea might be more flaws too, thats why I sorta was just meaning in a party.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

Well if the AI worked like this: If that player A was being attacked by a basic monster and then player B then attacked it. It could just just keep attacking player A, unless player A runs away and is faster then the monster. I'm hoping there be monsters that are in packs, and that would attack all at once if one was being attacked.  hm maybe there should be a AI thread.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

I know I wasn't really proving anything tongue I kinda agree if my system is just for parties. Unless theres a way from people stealing xp.

oh the formula is only lvl^2*25, yea that need to change. Maybe lvl^3*25, or how about 2^(lvl/5)+25*lvl. Or as I said before some formula that goes near a lvl but never hits it.

Mumblee, the pets comment was mine, not Zer's. smile

Yes indeed skills and stats should have meaning. I just looked on the ladder top lvl is 746. It seems lvling just gets easier. Which is why I tried to add spawns a little harder but of course I just got blasted for doing so. Hopefully skills in the new client will be harder to raise, but when raised it will mean something.

Good point, Tim.  Then you could have power levleing by exploited exp calculations.  If there is a way, players will find it.

Uh thats mostly saying don't try because you will fail. There will be much testing to work it out any bugs. But if my idea doesn't get added then specs idea about xp being given out depending on what lvl should be added.

60 (edited by Uwillnome 2007-02-27 15:19:21)

You mean my idea about xp based on lvl in party. wink 

You could just do this: (Not for parties, just basic single person fighting)

If a player hits a monster then that monsters experience will go to that person.  If a player doesn't hit the monster for say 5 seconds then the experience is up for grabs.  When the person hits a monster it checks to see if the monster is "available" then designates the experience to that person if the monster is "available" then when the person attacks again it resets the 5 second timer keeping the monster theirs.  Just another thought since the main methods so far mentioned were all about splitting experience points based on damage.

I'm not sure what instance of fighting a boss or at all when you wouldn't want to be partied.  What would be the down fall of being partied in a group fight against a monster or boss?

Thinking back, I remember when I played Final Fantasy Online before my trial ran out and I remember that you couldn't attack a monster that was "taken" by someone else.  The way it worked was that when PlayerA attacked a monster that monster tageted that person.  Following what I outlined above about 5 seconds and what not, if PlayerB attacked it while it was still taken then it simply didn't attack it.  PlayerB would just stand next too it, and it wouldn't attack.  This might be able to go hand in hand with the idea of clicking a town gaurd it only attacks in a certain "mode".  Maybe each creature could have an attribute that is either on or off that would control wether or not the creature is fightable.  That would help with the town guard situation, and maybe in the first come first serve experience method.

It was just an idea, and now that I think about it more I thought it was kind of annoying that I couldn't even help someone newer than myself to the game; but I still like the idea of the first person to get the experience points and having 5 second intervals to attack again or lose the chance at the experience points.  The other way is really complex and would work if mastered over many game updates, but I think I would like this system of the first come first serve better.

64 (edited by Catbert 2007-04-02 17:26:31)

It's a tough issue for any game. How do you decide who gets what?

I agree with Aaron about many of his ideas, but not about experience awarded for damage done.

Potential problems I see:

-Grouped healer gets no XP
-Higher levels just keep getting higher since they do the most damage
-Less incentive to work with people stronger than you if the exp is split

Of course most people in recent Faldons have solo leveld most or all of the way. I think really you need mobs that have a ton of HP and hit for lower amounts. As for the experience itself, I think it should be a flat reward to all in the group that lands the first few hits. It would then be modified on a percentage basis determined by level difference between enemy and each player, to avoid Power Levelling low levels and higher levels camping easy monsters.

On the issue of experience I think something should be done to correct the disparities between new players and the level 500+ people that have been playing forever. Whether that solution should be the old cubed experience equation, speeding up early levels, or a level cap I don't know. Holy aura has never really been an effective solution to people mass killing lower levels.