Topic: a number of ideas with more coming!

Offline Map Editer:
There should be an offline map editer that allows M's and GM's to work on maps offline without the annoyance of players, and an offline map editer would allow more movement, with no worries of you or the server crashing while working. A good idea would be to let the server upload map sectors from offline, and to protect players from corrupting maps... the map editer should open .map files but *only* save as something else that the server can translate over into .map smile

Lumberjacking:
I think it would be better if instead of lumberjacking saying you miss the tree, it says you swing and end up only with splinters, or something along those lines.

I don't have a signature! *gasping mouth open.. eats a whole turkey*
mmm.. the essence of zur

Re: a number of ideas with more coming!

no no.. the point was saving it with a different header, one that if you just renamed it.. it wouldn't work at all, and the game wouldn't run... something that uploading it, the server would 'translate' and put in... as to avaoid corruption... plus it wouldn't be availible to players.. only m/gms

mmm.. the essence of zur

Well it would have date protection on maps just incase the map was edited latey. But other then that I would agree for a offline editor.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

You'd still what date protection on the sectors though... if someone updated something in your sector while you were working on your version.  But, I really have some issues with such a system.  For example, I like to work in small batches.  Having been around as long as I have, I know what a pain it is to screw up something by accident and have to start all over again or try to repair the damage done from the screw up.  Thus, when I map edit, I'll upload a little at a time... draw out the floor - upload - build the walls - upload - add the second floor - upload - add the roof - upload.  I have found it works best for me, so an offline editor that uploads in one big chunk would not be idea for that. smile

well the idea was that you can save it and work on it later when you get more inspiration.. so you could do the first floor and save it... and work on the 2nd.. and if you screw it, revert to last save.. and then when you're done.. just upload the entire thing... so there aren't any chances of someone just walking by a scaffolding ;p
which btw, a scaffold could be used to save sectors to keep others from editing on it

mmm.. the essence of zur

Quest:
I had an idea that maybe there should be a trading cart that goes between valour and fishburg... and you have to go with it in a team of like 3-4 people... as a quest, to protect the trading cart from Bandits and all of the wild creatures along the way... and yes this would require new art, But... you could have a couple, like one going from town a to town b (the.. new.. towns smile) that acts as a traveling NPC like Frodo from last client.

NPCs:
As for NPCs... Jimmy, i believe that Spectre or Mumblee could do it themselves if they felt like it... but player owned NPCs should come back. Player owned NPCs serve as part of my idea for the new town being worked on atm... like a market place area of player owned NPCs.

NPCs should also be able to Follow people... and if they die, they respawn at their original standing spot. This way, we could have rescue missions where we have to go into like a mine that collapsed or like hell mines and save a miner trapped in by monsters... we have to lead them out the correct way and protect them from monsters and such.

mmm.. the essence of zur

7 (edited by Marlborough 2005-06-24 13:24:27)

Zurishism wrote:

Quest:
I had an idea that maybe there should be a trading cart that goes between valour and fishburg... and you have to go with it in a team of like 3-4 people... as a quest, to protect the trading cart from Bandits and all of the wild creatures along the way... and yes this would require new art, But... you could have a couple, like one going from town a to town b (the.. new.. towns smile) that acts as a traveling NPC like Frodo from last client.

Wow... that is almost the same idea I had, except that I pictured a trade cart between two towns that would leave say, once a day carrying a certain amount of gold.  It would have NPC guards and it could be an option to go rob it daily, of course it would have to be very difficult.. I realize this is not a quest, but I think it would be very cool.. perhaps the amount of gold carried could be determined by the taxes collected from market sales and mail that day.

Another addition;

Items that appear once a week
For example, every week, a special dragon spawns with a 50% chance of dropping a very nice item, it has its own dungeon and it is very tough to get to and beat.  This would force a team to tackle this quest and it would make a great rush on say saturday at midnight to get this item.

The main problems with moving NPCs to protect is how to make the NPC move.  Does it follow you?  How does it handle pathfinding.  What if you die?  There isn't an event system, so the script would have to loop and check stuff.

Also, player-owned NPCs would more or less need to be hard-coded in with the current scripting.  I can only concieve of one way of making it work and it would involve some really ugly code.. plus, it would be an instant exploit since it would repair items to full each time... thus, yes, it would have to be hardcoded into the server.

9 (edited by Jesus 2005-06-24 21:41:21)

The player owned NPC's would be nice but they would just be in the same state that Houses are atm. Too sought after and not enough to go around.

Also Marl i like the idea about the hard monster spawning although i think it should be random. That way you need to gather troops when you see it. If you set it at a certain time then there is a huge group of people missiing out on it.

hmm My thoughts on player owned NPC's where that you stuck items on them that players could buy off.

we had them last client... basically.. a player owned npc was this... a NPC that EVERYONE knew about and stayed in one area.. the npc came with its own farm... somewhere far away.. i never bothered with farms much except for the one to the south near the river and chickens =] but anyway.. the npc had some crazy system for how you had to pay for it.. you paid the npc daily i believe... and you could put any item on it that you want and set the price.. without the price going down... and its there until someone buys it... so basically you didn't have to worry about your items losing value and being pushed off of the market...  and if you have good items you add with good prices.. you'll have people constantly checking it and you'll be more likely to  sell things... plus then, when you're not online... you can sell items for like 100million, and have the npc saying "items costing xxxxxxxxx you must MAIL the owner (being xxxx) and barter for it... this way you can offer items without being online, and you don't need to buy the item off of it to take it off.... i LOVED the player owned npcs.. and plus, you could EASILY have them around so there wont be too little...
plus... they're not like houses... someone who never has anything to sell will not buy one... esepcially since they have to pay upkeep on the thing... smile

mmm.. the essence of zur

Recall, however, that last client people started using their NPCs as banks by putting up items and rediculous prices like 1,000,000,000,000 gp so that they could store the items and not worry about bank space.  Also, with the current scripting system, there's no way to do merchant player-owned NPCs without hard-coding something into the server.

well.. i still highly suggest we set aside some spots for these npcs... then after server rewrite, add them in as long as jimmy can hard-code it smile

mmm.. the essence of zur

If they did come back maybe have it so they cant sell over 500% of what the items set price, and only do a max 5 items at a time, then people would really use them as banks. Maybe you can do them as traders which can do more then one player, to about 5 or so.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.