1 (edited by karona 2005-05-16 05:54:20)

Topic: stepping/ar hack ?

i think the problem which causes ar hack to be allowed is the client thinking you are stepping i was just wondering will stepping be removed to stop it ?

edit: damn keyboard(spelling)  tongue

Re: stepping/ar hack ?

The attack delay is being over-ridden by the art and movement delay for some reason, or so it seems.  It only works well on stationary targets but it is annoying.

He will probably fix things like that with the client rewrite anyways, the more important and harder to fix things have very little to do with balance, bug correction, etc and have a lot more to do with completely changing how the game is layed out and probably a lot of its logic at the end of the day.

4 (edited by Catbert 2005-05-16 22:51:51)

No it isn't, at least not entirely.  The server already detects and limits AR fine, the client can just feeds it false information, particularly in the case of the 'stepping' bug.  The problem is the server is too gullible and the client has the stepping bug, which is likely the art delay writing over the attack speed.

Edit:  I might be wrong about the cause of the so-called three step bug though.  I'm not even sure that it is a bug in actuality, it might simply be a display error on the client.  Then again I haven't played since last August, at least on a serious level.

Zer will likely address issues like these after the client and server(is he doing that too?) are rewritten.  Hopefully, beta will be more productive than it was last time and cheats/bugs will be reported and weeded out.

I don't think it'd be practical or particularly sane to introduce an entirely rewritten client and expect no bugs or unintended consequences.  Some form of a beta is almost a requirement.

I don't recall saying anything in any of my posts about fixing 'everything', but if you aren't going to fix the major cheats/bugs with the game (z-hack, stepping, etc.) then a new client is pretty meaningless.  The main problems with gameplay have a lot to do with balance issues and players abusing cheats, at least imo.

"The client is not even coming with a reset of the game, so trying to fix everything then, would not only
be a waste of time, but also the game would remain in the same state it is in."

I think the only true waste of time would be Zer rewriting an entirely new client for the same broken game, which either means a wipe or bug fixes.  But I'm guessing the purpose of this rewrite was to remove cheats and bugs and to overall make the game run more smoothly.

7 (edited by Catbert 2005-05-17 17:04:02)

So he rewrote it to make the code look neater and more organized?  What mistakes do you mean if not bugs?:P

Well he needs to do a new client first then a new server. If he did a new server first then people would have to wait till the client is done. So If the client is done at least you can test it on the current server. So really the client isnt for fixing bugs, its for the new server which will fix the current bugs~

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

Well Zer choosed that way himself so I dont know his real reason. But doing the server first, he wouldnt be able to test it out really untill the client is done. And he said himself that the new client works on both this server and on the new one, so there wont be 3 waits.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

Zammbi wrote:

Well he needs to do a new client first then a new server. If he did a new server first then people would have to wait till the client is done. So If the client is done at least you can test it on the current server. So really the client isnt for fixing bugs, its for the new server which will fix the current bugs~

Thanks for clearing that up la~

11 (edited by Catbert 2005-05-18 08:13:45)

Visualcode wrote:

Okay, well Catbert, thing is he will most likely NOT fix bugs. Bug fixes mostly require server change.

If you can't find client-side bugs on this game then imo you aren't looking very far:P

I might be under a false impression, but I believe there are a lot of application layer functions the client does right now, separate from the user interface.

We're all speculating on what he might do anyways, so this discussion is something of a moot point.  I'd just like to say three cheers to Jimbo for finally doing a client rewrite.