1 (edited by Marlborough 2007-02-18 22:33:51)

Topic: A little progress

I say keep names as only normal characters; adding alt characters and symbols can only make things more annoying, and I don't think people will be too disappointed that they can't be named *&*$φ.

(Actually, that's a pretty sweet name).

Re: A little progress

I hated alt char names, and it made it a lot more annoying for gm's to ban and mute

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

Good, then I won't put them in. The client and server are both Unicode-native though, so it sure is a waste. smile

Well if it supports the chars without showing as little box's, and gms can ban/mute without using wildcards then sure, I just found you try to message that char it would always say wrong name or so.

I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

Well, it would only do that if you actually had, say, Chinese or Korean fonts installed. So.. smile

The other issue is that Unicode has *tons* of similar-looking characters.

oh hm, might be easier if we just stayed with English names. But people could still speak it in chats then? so it wouldn't be a waste.

Yeah, should be fine in chat.

About the starting classes. I think this should be good everyone could start with a skill of 2, and mages start with a basic spell, warriors start with a basic weapon, archer with a bow and some arrows, miners start with a pickaxe, etc...  But make sure have a custom char option so people still can make w/e they want and it could start with some gp instead.

Just a random idea, it would be cool if Gms could control monsters. Something like C&C controlling. This would make great war games. For example a whole group of people are trying to guard a town for the evil undead army. And the army is controlled by a Gm, which he can select a whole group of undead troops and tell where to move it, or do a attack move. This way monsters can have a strategy. Would be fun for the Gm and the players smile

Zammbi wrote:

Just a random idea, it would be cool if Gms could control monsters. Something like C&C controlling. This would make great war games. For example a whole group of people are trying to guard a town for the evil undead army. And the army is controlled by a Gm, which he can select a whole group of undead troops and tell where to move it, or do a attack move. This way monsters can have a strategy. Would be fun for the Gm and the players smile

I think that is one of Zer's intents.

oh good.

Heh cool, well I commented back ages ago to bring back boats too.

As long as boats have art this time around....

Well, the way Zer has been talking, boats will be mini-maps.  So, you get on the boat and it moves around, but the art would be a small group of map tiles.

hm, will it be possible to put art on top of these map tiles?

Well I mean, that a boat is going to look like a boat and not tiles.
And what are you on about mumblee, teleporting boats?

The tiles that make up the boat will probably look like a boat.

Just a note on the names:

When I first started playing I created a character called <-mage<- (the <- were actually arrows in my name and sometimes showed up as boxes).  Well, when my account got messed up and C time didn't get assigned and what not I didn't know how to get it fixed because no one knew how to make the arrows in my name.  I think sticking with alphanumeric and keyboard symbols is a good idea.  Like it was mentioned above, it makes it easier to help people that way.  Some people used complicated names on purpose, but it also helps people that don't know any better by keeping it simple.

Just my .02

Hm about maps, are you going to make it that any size of map can be map. Like able to make a real map that will take a hour to cross hehe(would make awesome desert that people can get lost in). Or small maps to have like cave or something but cant add anything else(So things won't get built near it and be seen on the mini map)

Sounds like you need to get some reference counting going on there, Jimbo tongue