Topic: Progress Has Stopped?

No, actually, it hasn't.  While Zer hasn't posted an update recently, progress is still being made towards the new client.  I've talked to him recently and he is working on such tasks as getting spell projectiles and character art to draw.  Also, he is in the process of rethinking and optimizing his client-server interaction design to bring the most powerful and flexible Faldon yet for your gaming pleasure!

Re: Progress Has Stopped?

Thanks for the update Aaron.. Hope the new client comes soon.. Faldon is lagging terribly when 50+ people are on.

Spoke with Zer recently again.  He's working on the new chatting system.  The format will be slightly different this time.  Instead of typing "b" or "y" or "t" for broadcast, yell, or tell respectively, you will type \# message where # = the channel number.  The channel numbers will be given to you.. like broadcast may be 0, yell 1, and guild 2.  Then, when doing a tell, you would do /t name message.  Once you've sent a message to someone or some channel, any further typing will automatically send to that channel.  So, for example:
  /0 Hi guys!
  Spectre [Broadcast, 0]: Hi guys!
  What's up?
  Spectre [Broadcast, 0]: What's up?

In this way, you also don't need to worry about /reply or r message.  I've also suggested to Zer to add private channels as well, ala IRC.  We'll see if that happens or not.

4 (edited by Jesus 2005-08-06 09:15:43)

Spectre a few questions if you will.

With the Chat system....just for example i T someone...it would go to the T channel.

Does this mean I will not see the Broadcast Channel until I switch back to it.

And wouldn't it be easier for Zer to simply assign letters to the numbers...so saying /b would be the same as saying /0

Also you say you wont need to worry about /r   what if someone else T's you while in a T conversation with someone else.

Also...cant players create private channels as it is ?  channel *channelname*  and tell their friends to join that channel.

Well... No, you will monitor all channels (broadcast, yell, guild) and any other channels you may be a member of.

I thought about the /b stuff, and suggested it, but Zer seems to think that /0, /1, ... is better.

And, I don't know about the Ting... Zer supposedly has that all worked out.  We'll see. tongue

And, yes, players can create private channels but they don't work the way originally intended.  Originally, Wu intended the private channels as a sort of IRC style private channel.. such that, you're not locked out of normal broadcast while using it... it's just an additional place you can talk.

Change scares me....=D

Caff wrote:
Spectre wrote:

Well... No, you will monitor all channels (broadcast, yell, guild) and any other channels you may be a member of.

I thought about the /b stuff, and suggested it, but Zer seems to think that /0, /1, ... is better.

And, I don't know about the Ting... Zer supposedly has that all worked out.  We'll see. tongue

And, yes, players can create private channels but they don't work the way originally intended.  Originally, Wu intended the private channels as a sort of IRC style private channel.. such that, you're not locked out of normal broadcast while using it... it's just an additional place you can talk.

I question though, will the new channel system be to complex for the Faldon mindset?

This is indeed a potential problem... but, perhaps if the chat system is too complex for them to figure out, there will be less spamming and all-around stupid chat.  So, this could have a good result.

Caff wrote:
Visualcode wrote:

Mumblee... That is the problem I have. Poltergeist. I do not block my T's either. BUT, I do want them blocked when in poltergeist. I do not like
that players can find out if I am online when I am polter. I would like NO t's/w's to work in polter. If I polter, it is for a reason. Normally because
I am keeping an eye on someone. And since I am almost always around, they know it. So certain players if they havn't seen me in a while
DO test to see if I am on... And it works. Sure I could block T's/W's but then... I forget to set them back in normal mode. I would much rather
it be auto-ignore in Polter.

As far as the chat-system being fine... That is not true at all... That chat system is not fit for conversation, it is used for it though. I come on
some days... and the chat is spammed so much I can't keep up with my T's. Also Y chat is useless. Players do not understand what it is, I
think they think it is for when you are mad? I see players talk back and forth between Y and B all the time. It is a local chat, not an anger chat.
I think I however, am the only one that uses it as a local chat.

The faldon mindset cannot comprehend a chat used for people on the same map, on another note yellow is an ugly color for chatting and often related to anger ;p.

Actually I would say the main problem is that it is the 'yell' chat.. instead of the.. say.. 'quiet speaking' chat.